Tuesday, October 14, 2008

VIDEO MAGIC: Hey Paulette "I Really Do Love Penelope"

Earlier this year, I had a lot of sleepless nights. The combination of a hectic social life and incredibly depressing job left me unable to lay back and close my eyes. On many nights, I used to watch videos on YouTube, in hopes that I would find something that would take my mind off the stress.

One night I decided to search for “C86.” For those of you who are unaware, C86 was a mixtape compiled by NME as a celebration of all the clangy, jangly guitar groups that had arrived in the wake of the Smiths. While many people complained that C86 was essentially a codification of indie clichés, the songs are not without their charm. Anyway, I digress. One of the groups that turned up on the video search was Hey Paulette, a quartet from Dublin, Ireland. “I Really Do Love Penelope,” is a tribute to a girl who couldn’t care less about the narrator. The lyrics are undeniably influenced by Orange Juice, yet musically they are a bit closer to the Smiths.



I’m not sure why I became so taken with this song. Perhaps because of my celebrity crush on Penelope Cruz. Or maybe it was because of Derrick Dalton’s melodic guitar playing. Either way, it felt really cool to hear something that instantly spoke to me. For a very long period, I was listening to albums that required repeated listens to get into. It was a relief to hear something so fresh. Even though the record is 20years old….

Click HERE for a nice little FAQ on the group

Hey Paulette’s complete discography is available on the compilation album “Long Ball Into Nowhere.” Believe it or not, you can actually download this on I-tunes.

No comments: